Role and Value of Mentoring
Mentoring is invaluable when:
- transitioning a CEO into a new role;
- preparing senior executives for CEO succession;
- developing the leadership capacity and capability of senior managers into broader, more strategic leadership roles within your organisation.
Our SMG specialist mentor team provides access to a dynamic resource of experienced, knowledgeable, empathetic and trustworthy experts in their field – people who can hear and understand your concerns and provide invaluable counsel.
At SMG we strive to ensure a perfect match between our mentors and clients, thereby maximizing successful outcomes.
We empower individuals to deal with conflict effectively in order to achieve the best outcomes at minimal risk.
In keeping with our policies, meetings are conducted in a confidential environment at agreed meeting times.
SMG Mentoring Process
Our highly effective mentoring programs embrace four key characteristics:
- clear identification of our client’s development objectives and goals in line with his or her aspirations and the sponsor organisation’s strategic priorities;
- detailed analyses of our client’s needs;
- regular reviews of identified goals and outcomes in collaboration with the program sponsor, mentee and other key stakeholders;
- evaluation of program outcomes.
SMG also offers clients the opportunity to build internal mentoring capabilities through our mentoring skills training programs. Our programs are flexible to fit in with client schedules, are based on the latest research, and employ practical, applied adult learning methodologies to ensure effective outcomes.
SMG provides training, ongoing professional development, individual supervision and case reviews for mentors. This ensures our mentors have a proven technique guide their success. Key attributes required of our mentors include:
- senior executive experience and a proven track record;
- highly developed interpersonal skills;
- effective listening intelligence and empathetic acumen;
- a passion for assisting others;
- advanced self-awareness and maturity;
- an understanding of several different strategic perspectives;
- a pragmatic approach to management and leadership challenges.
Outcomes of Mentoring
The benefits of our mentoring services and expertise for individuals and organisations include:
- a confidential environment for executives to explore ideas and to self-reflect;
- opportunities to gain deeper insight and understanding;
- the acquisition of deeper and more varied strategic perspectives;
- improved management of diverse stakeholder interests;
- greater clarity of organisational goals;
- more effective interpersonal relationships;
- continuing personal development of leaders, both current and future;
- improved individual executive efficacy and positive return on investment (ROI) for the sponsor organisation.