EXPERTISE / SPECIALISATIONS
- Banking & Finance, Legal & Professional Services, FMCG
- Energy & Resources, Engineering & Construction, Technology & Research
- Government (Education, Community & Health), NGOs and NFPs
Gillian has over 25 years global senior executive experience and 20 years as a company director. Her career has spanned private and public sectors, has included 8 years in (2) CEO roles and 10 years on a NSW Government Health Board. She has worked professionally as a mentor & coach since 2005.
Born in England, Gillian moved to Australia as a teenager, where she studied law at the University of Sydney. After early roles at Allen, Allen & Hemsley and the University of Sydney, she accepted a scholarship to Harvard University.
A deep interest in people and culture has seen Gillian travel widely, and led to increasingly diverse and senior roles. She has worked in Australia, Hong Kong and Mexico, managed investment portfolios over $US1bn, and business interests in the US, Singapore, Europe and Asia-Pacific. Skilled at bridging cultures – national, corporate and professional – she has worked in multinationals, ASX listed, SME’s and NFPs, and led major organisational transformations.
Executive roles included Managing Director, Unisearch; General Manager, Corporate Development, Zurich Australia; Managing Director, Standard Chartered Equitor Trustee (Hong Kong); Corporate Finance Manager, Coca-Cola Amatil; and Senior Manager, Arbitrage, Lloyds Bank NZA.
Gillian’s clients include CEOs, board directors, senior executives, legal & tax practitioners, and emerging talent. A key focus is exploring personal authenticity and alignment of career aspirations, deepening emotional awareness, strengthening influencing skills and encouraging leadership that is both courageous and mindful.
QUALIFICATIONS & TRAINING
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons) (Sydney); Master of Laws (Harvard)
- Graduate Diploma in Counselling; Graduate Diploma in Ontological Coaching
- Advanced Diploma, Australian Institute of Company Directors
- BlackRock Accredited Executive Coach; PCC (Professional Certified Coach), ICF.
PROFESSIONAL APPOINTMENTS & MEMBERSHIPS
- Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors – Gillian has served on listed and private boards, committees and advisory panels in Australia and Asia
- Director, Planet Ark Environment Foundation
- Previous roles include: serving on the Centre of Quantum Computer Technology (UNSW), the Council of Knox Grammar School, the Professional Selection Committee for Churchill Fellows, a Review Panel for the Victorian Ministry for Education & Training, as chair of the Education Committee of the AICD, and as a director of several technology start-ups.
WORKING WITH GILLIAN TURNER
“Gillian has great skill in cutting through the noise and excuses and I’ve gained insights about my reactions and behaviour and what I can do to create my own outcomes and results. Her combination of senior executive experience and business acumen, coupled with knowledge of human behaviour and psychology, helped me analyse and navigate commercial realities and scenarios. Having her as my mentor is a major contributor to my transition from a managing focus and mindset, to becoming a leader and developing my strategic capability.”
– CEO, Retail.